Address: Hradčanské náměstí 1, Praha 1 – Hradčany, +420 233 081 713, www.ngprague.cz
The Salm Palace on Hradčanské Square was originally built as a luxury apartment building between 1800 and 1811.
This Neoclassicist palace was built by the Prague archbishop William Florentan, the Prince of Sal-Salm, on the site of several smaller aristocratic residences. The Salm Palace is connected with the neighboring Schwarzenberg Palace and sometimes it is even called the small Schwarzenberg Palace. Since 2004, the palace has been under the management of the National Gallery Prague, which recently had the palace reconstructed. A new building serving as an entrance to both palaces as well as the National Gallery's info center was built between the palaces based on a project by the Spanish architect Josep Llouís Mateo. The National Gallery opened the Salm Palace at the end of 2012 with an exhibition of the famous Czech painter František Kupka held on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the presentation of his two essential works of non-figural painting, Amorpha – Fugue in Two Colors and Amorpha – Warm Chromatics, in Paris. After that, the palace became home to the art collection focused on the 19th century. Today, the Salm Palace is where short-term exhibitions, as well as long-term art projects, take place.
Back to The National Gallery