Address: Karlův most, Praha 1 – Staré město, www.muzeumprahy.cz
On the western end of the Charles Bridge there are two towers – the older and smaller is the so-called Judith Tower, while the Lesser Town Bridge Tower that was built on the site of a Romanesque tower in 1464 presents the youngest part of the bridge.
The Lesser Town Bridge Tower was completed under the reign of George of Poděbrady and its model was most probably the Old Town Bridge Tower on the other end of the Charles Bridge. The Lesser Town Bridge Tower is connected with the Judith Tower via a gate with battlements from the early 15th century, which was a part of the city fortifications and protected the entrance to Lesser Town. On the tower there are many niches that were originally to be filled with sculptures, however, it has never happened. In the second half of the 19th century the tower underwent a reconstruction under the architect Josef Mocker. In the past it served as a watchtower and storehouse, today it is a part of the Museum of the Capital City of Prague and a permanent exhibition on the history of Charles Bridge is located there. It also serves as a lookout for visitors. The tower is 43,5 meters high and its gallery is located at the height of 26 meters.
In the neighborhood
Back to Other Prague Museums